The debate over who, exactly, should “save baseball” is an extension of the desperate sense, borne out by years of decline in popularity, that baseball needs a savior in the first place.
That something is broken, or at the very least flat, and that something fundamental must pivot in order for baseball to thrive again.
I ask him what he'd change about the game as it currently works. He considers, then says, “Honestly, I'm satisfied with everything. No need to make any drastic changes.”

(中略)

Shohei Ohtani has something to say about my terminal prognostication.

“Baseball was born here, and I personally want baseball to be the most popular sport in the United States.
So if I can contribute in any way to help that, I'm more than open to it,” he says.
“But if you look at the whole baseball population in the world, it's a lot less than, like, soccer and basketball, because only select countries are really big on baseball.
But in those countries where it's huge, it's unbelievably huge.”

What he's saying is that it's a very America-centric idea that baseball is dying.
What he's saying is that if you ever get the sense again that baseball is dying, you might take a trip to Japan.

自動翻訳
大谷翔平は私の末期の予知について何か言いたいことがあります。

「野球はここで生まれました。私は個人的に野球をアメリカで最も人気のあるスポーツにしたいと思っています。
ですから、私がそれを助けるために何らかの形で貢献できれば、私はそれを受け入れる以上のことをします」と彼は言います。
「しかし、世界の野球人口全体を見ると、サッカーやバスケットボールのように、野球が本当に大きいのは一部の国だけなので、はるかに少ないです。
しかし、それが巨大な国では、信じられないほど巨大です。」

彼が言っているのは、野球が死にかけているというのは非常にアメリカ中心の考えだということです。
彼が言っているのは、野球が死にかけているという感覚を再び感じたら、日本に旅行に行くかもしれないということです。

GQより
https://www.gq.com/story/shohei-ohtani-february-cover-profile